Taking simple steps to prevent getting or spreading herpes will pay off for both you and your partner.
Safer sex practices can include:
- Getting tested. It is a good idea to know you and your partner’s STI status before having sex.
- Sex with condoms. Use them correctly and every time you have sex. Using a condom can greatly lower your risk of getting genital herpes.
- Sex using dental dams. A dental dam is a thin, square piece of latex that is placed over the clitoris, vulva or anus during oral sex.
- Avoid penetrative sex. Find other ways to be intimate with your partner – kissing, massage and mutual masturbation can be satisfying and are safer.
- Talk with your partner. Learn how to talk to your sexual partner about STIs and using condoms.